Job Code - EC0788
Product Development Engineer – Battery and Thermal Systems
Chicago, Illinois area
Our client is a global supplier of custom interconnect and electronic packaging solutions. The customer base includes automotive, telecom, industrial and consumer electronics suppliers worldwide. The technologies include stamping, molding, plating, etching, drawing and assembly of precision parts..
• The Product Development Engineer – Battery and Thermal Systems will have development engineering responsibility to support internal and customer collaboration on Battery / Cell Plx Interconnect, heat transfer solutions, and thermal / mechanical analysis. The role will provide technical support on new design, thermal and structural analysis, materials, and interface selection, DFMEA, DFM and DFA etc. Internally, the Product Development Engineer will engage with the PPD and TIC teams to present solutions on product design and new concepts.
• As a member of the Product Development Engineering Teams, He / she will be responsible to meet program timelines, and enjoy developing products that combine heat transfer, mechanical, electrical and electronic technologies that depend on a high degree of electro-mechanical design skill level.
• Initiation of new product concepts from Customer Specifications or for internal Marketing initiatives.
• Assisting Sales by performing Customer Specification Reviews, developing Product Requirements based on Customer Specs.
• Developing application concepts for customer proposals and turning concepts into product designs.
• Creating 3D models and 2D drawings. Work with Analysis engineers to conduct computer simulations such as FEA, Complex Thermal-Joule Heating-Current Density analysis, Electrical analysis and Tolerance stacks. Support manufacturing engineering to review Mold Flow and perform Mold Fill analysis.
• Currency with the latest Battery System, Fuel Cell, and thermal management market trends, manufacturing processes and product technologies, developing new technologies is required.
• Adhering to IATF-16949 Quality Plan procedures.
• Assisting in the creation of DVP&R validation plans, overseeing and performing validation testing.
• Develop and own high-power applications and technologies in support of customer needs and technology trends.
• Partner with the product management team to guide product line strategy and direction.
• This role will require up to 25% traveling domestically and some international travel.
• Flexible schedule is required to balance communication and partnerships in different time zones and globally.
• Primary office will be in the Chicago Area (preferred – Livonia MI, & Tustin CA are alternatives).
Basic Qualifications • B.S. in Mechanical Engineering (BSME) or equivalent.
• Min 5+ years of relevant experience in HV Battery systems and/or Energy Storage Systems.
• Experience working with CAD design tool SolidWorks or similar 3D software CATIA, NX, and Inventor.
• Experience with CFD simulation tools such as SolidWorks Flow and/or ANSYS Thermal Analysis.
• High level technical understanding of EV Battery modules and packs.
• Experience with metal stamping, plastic molding, and dielectric materials selection is a plus.
• Experience with DFMEA, DFM, GD&T, statistical tolerance analysis, 6 sigma, 8D problem solving.
• Microsoft Office software experience: MSWord, Excel, PowerPoint.
• Familiar with automotive Product Development processes. Prefer APQP and IATF-16949 QMS experience.
• Knowledge of typical automotive environmental and reliability requirements.
• Proven product development background to provide design and DFM feedback.
Preferred Qualifications • Degree in Mechanical Engineering a Masters is a plus
• Direct experience with Heat Transfer analysis using CFD and battery thermal simulations tools (i.e., Star CCM+, ANSYS workbench, Flotherm, and Icepack.
Resume to: email@example.com